A traditional insalata caprese (means salad from Capri) a light summertime salad, it is made of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves drizzled with olive oil, that is what the classic recipe calls for.
In this recipe I added black olives and tuna to make it heartier, drizzled with the store-bought balsamic vinaigrette and it turned out awesome, so feel free to add your favourite additions.
This salad can be a side dish or a tasty appetizer and this would make a great summer meal on a hot day as well, it is easy to make and ready on the table in a flash.
Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil a great summer salad and delicious appetizer drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 13g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 5g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 250g fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 tinned tuna in olive oil, squeezed
- ½ cup black olives
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette, for drizzling
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle salt on the sliced tomatoes and let sit for a minute.
- In a serving platter layer alternating the slices of tomatoes and mozzarella, placing a basil leaf in between, top with black olives and add tuna in the centre of the platter.
- Scatter with the chopped remaining basil and dried oregano, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle some balsamic vinaigrette over top.