Merhaba everyone! (Turkish greeting)
I brought you this time one of my favourite recipes Turkish pizza (oval flat-bread) with a minced meat and cheese topping… Yummy! Do you know what is it? Kiymali Pide… Lahmacun (pronounced Lahmajoon) is also another flat-bread with ground meat topping, but it is thinner and in round shape, the pides are boat-shaped, thicker and served in slices.
My first experience of eating pides was in Istanbul a few years ago, and when I had them I fell in love with them, how could I not? Just watching the guy preparing the pides whets your appetite, spinning them in the air then adding yummy toppings, folding over the edges in an oval shape and then sliding them into the oven a couple of minutes later, the pides would be cut into slices and served to you hot 😛 .
You can find them everywhere in turkey but each region has its own method of cooking them as well as the general range of toppings, making them at home is so easy once you have the base, you just choose your filling, you can of course feel free and add what you like.
You know what? These babies have given me the urge to visit Turkey again LOL.
This recipe I’m sharing with you as I mentionned earlier it is called Kiymali Pide, kiyma in turkish language means minced meat and kıymalı means contains or cooked with minced meat. My cousin Sarah.B is an Algerian girl married to a turkish guy, and lives in Izmir she gave me her mother’s in-law special pide no-knead dough recipe, the secret of making a very yummy pides. Everyone I’ve made them for has loved them, I hope you and your family love them too! trust me my pides are a real winner.
Pide with Minced meat
Try this yummy pide recipe with minced meat and cheese topping
Write a review
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 65g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
For the Pide Base
- 600 g all-purpose flour (approx)
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- 150 g Greek Yogurt
- 60 ml oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the Topping
- 250 grams minced meat (lamb or beef)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 bunches spring onions or scallions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Mix in the lukewarm water the yeast and sugar and let it set for 5 mins.
- In meantime take a mixing bowl and add salt, egg, yogurt, oil, whisk all together then sift in the flour and stir in the yeasty liquid, using your hand or a wooden spoon stir until all the flour has been incorporated and dough should be sticky with shaggy, goopy mess. (because it's no-knead dough).
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to prove for about an hour in a warm area.
- Meanwhile start making the minced meat filling, In a saucepan over medium-heat add oil and minced-meat and cook until browned. Stir in the onions, tomato and bell pepper and cover for a couple of mints, then add garlic, tomato paste, paprika and season with salt and pepper, you can add water if needed, cover and let the mixture cook for 15 mints, finally add parsley and set a side to cool.
- Whilst the topping is cooling, you can get started with your dough.
- Onto a lightly floured surface transfer your dough and divide it into eight equal pieces then roll out each piece into a thin elongated oval using a rolling pin about 15cm long.
- Spread your minced-meat filling and cheese on top of each oval pide, and fold over the edges so they touch the filling but don't cover it, Join the folded edges and close tightly at the top and bottom to make a boat shape.
- Lay the pides out onto a floured baking tray and brush the edges with the beaten egg wash, sprinkle some black seeds or sesame on top if desired and bake into 180°C preheated oven for 20 mints.